Benefits of Playing Games An Hour Every Day
Most people negatively view activities which do not seem to produce something. For example, playing games. Most people, especially parents, see that playing games is an activity done only by lazy people. Moreover, they think that playing games makes a person less smart because students tend to ignore their duty to study. Gamers are a person who just spends a lot of their times without producing anything precious.
However, as long as the time is limited, there are many benefits that you can get by playing games. Here are the benefits of playing games for an hour every day.
- Research from the University of Rochester in New York divided gamers aged from 18 years old to 23 years old into 2 groups. The first group is gamers who are required to play a game named Medal of Honor for an hour for 10 days in a row. The result of the research showed that those gamers have a better focus on what is happening around them than those who rarely play games or even do not play games at all. They are also more capable of doing several things at the same time or also known as multitasking. The research also showed that people learn and study better by playing games. In other words, games are able to help people who have problems concentrating.
- There is also research from the University of California-Irvine which makes sure that game simulation can also increase brain memory. They found a part of the brain named hippocampus. It is the part of the brain which is related to memory and complex things that can change and improve by playing 3D games. From the number of people who are involved in the research, their memory increases around 12%. According to the research, this is able to be applied to persons who have problems with their memories and awareness. Isn’t it good news for gamers?
- One of the benefits of playing games is able to increase the ability of eye and hand coordination. So that gamers can be more dexterous than the others. In fact, there are several games which are specifically designed to train the ability of surgeons to make their hand movements more precise. The relation between games and motor skills had been known by experts for a long time. Several games which have high tempo play a big role in increasing motor skills and help the gamers to make a decision more quickly. It is because gamers must quickly decide a strategy to win the game.
- Not only able to increase memory, but playing game is also able to help the functions of the entire brain and logic. During playing games, you are unconsciously paying more attention to things. You will more focus on details. You will also be more critical in making decisions. For your information, playing games nowadays has become one of the therapies for those who are suffering from dementia and Alzheimer. These diseases are mostly found on the elderly. So, do you want to teach your grandpa and grandma to play games?
- There are a lot of types of games, one of them is strategy games. By playing this kind of game, your intuition will get sharper every day. Lately, there are many games which display moral decisions in deciding the storyline. Every decision has different consequences for the continuity of the game itself. In strategy games, you have to think critically in making decisions to attack your enemy or arrange your army. Even in first person shooter games, you still have to think strategically and critically instead of just aiming and shooting. This ability will play a big role in your real life in the future.
- The main purpose of playing games is for entertainment. So, it can be said that playing games can keep you away from depression. There are already many proofs that playing games is able to reduce the level of stress and depression. By playing games, the brain will be busy processing information so that the players will forget any problems for a while. Games are also the rightest stress distribution to most people. Besides able to relieving stress, playing games is also able to be used as a media to socialize with other people for those who have a shy personality.
Those are the benefits that you can get from playing games, as long as it is not too much. You have to remember that everything that is excessive is not good.